The following post will teach users on how to manually install Microsoft SQL Server into their own computer by using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Express edition as an example.
To download Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Express edition, please click the following link:
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Express edition
To download Microsoft SQL Server 2012 SP2 Express edition, please click the following link:
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 SP2 Express edition
To download the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, please click the following link:
Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Management Studio Express
Note: all steps in the Red color is important. Please make sure you understand what is mentioned in those steps before you continue the installation
- Before beginning the installation, please ensure that you have read the System Requirements and Installation Instruction (the instruction provided in the page is very basic but still cover some of required information) of the selected Microsoft SQL Server you wish to install in the download page linked above.
- Start the installation process by double-clicking the downloaded installer. After the installer has unpacked its required resources, you will be greeted by the following screen.
- Choose the New Installation option. The installer will begin to execute several checks and functions to begin the installation.
- Again select the option ‘New installation or add shared feature’ before pressing ‘Next’.
- Tick the ‘I accept the license terms’ check box before pressing ‘Next’. If you wish to send feature usage data to Microsoft, you may tick the option.
- Make sure that the Instance Features are selected in the Feature Selection screen before pressing ‘Next’.
- In the Instance Configuration, you may choose and enter the Named instance and Instance ID information. Please note that the default Instance Name for AutoCount is A2006
- The installer will then check and calculate the Disk Space Requirement, if you have passed the requirement, it will skip to the Server Configuration page
- In the Server Configuration page, for the SQL Server Database Engine entry, please change from the default ‘NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE’ account name to ‘NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM’ account name. Then click ‘Next’ to continue.
- In the Database Engine Configuration page, in the Account Provisioning tab, under the Authentication Mode, please choose the ‘Mixed Mode (SQL Server authentication and Windows Authentication)’ option and specify the sa account password in the Enter and Confirm password fields. Please note to remember the password if you are not using the default AutoCount password as this password is required to access the server later on when attaching or restoring databases. If you wish to use the default AutoCount password, please contact AutoCount Sdn Bhd to obtain it.
- You may skip the other tabs under the Database Engine Configuration and click Next to continue your installation.
- For the Error Reporting page, if you wish to send reports to Microsoft, you may tick on the option presented in it. If not just click ‘Next’ to continue.
- The installer will begin the Installation process.
- Close the installer when the installation is complete.
- To check if the SQL Server is running, go to your Task Manager and see if the following entry is available.
- If you have SQL Management Studio installed on your PC, you may try to connect to the server using the application by entering the username ‘sa’ and the previously entered password for the server. If you are able to connect to the server, then your installation is correct and you may begin to use the server you have installed.