- 1 Introduction
- 2 License Upgrade
- 3 Installation Guide
- 4 Improvements Introduced
- 5 Malaysian GST Enhancement (1st Phase Implementation)
- 6 Summary
With the latest requirement by the Malaysian Government in implementing the GST into every day transaction, Auto Count Sdn Bhd will now introduce a new version of AutoCount Accounting that will support the Malaysia GST features. This version of the software known as version 1.8 will contain significant modification to its core system with the usage of .Net framework 4.0 as well as the latest DevExpress User Interface component (version 13.1.10). It will also introduce new plug-in installation and management protocol as well as some new enhancement to some of its network function such as:
- AutoCount Backup Server
- Remote USB Key Server Enhancement
- Enhancement to the Network User function
- Enhancement to Account Book Registration
- Introduction of Accountant License
Warning: Before installing AutoCount Accounting version 1.8, please be advised that previous license code used in version 1.5 or 1.6 can no longer be used in version 1.8.
Users are advised to contact their reseller or dealer to obtain their new license key before installing AutoCount Accounting version 1.8.
For users in Malaysia, please be advised that an upgrade fee for the software will be charged when obtaining the new license key. This is due to the fact that version 1.8 of AutoCount Accounting contains extra functions that is needed to support the GST features required by the Malaysian Government.
Please note that due to the fact that some manual work is needed to modify reports to be compliant to the GST implementation, extra charges may apply.
With the modification to the Network User (discussed in depth in chapter 4.3) changes has been done to the license code generation to allow users have greater option in purchasing the right license to suit their needs. As such previous license code (for version 1.5 and 1.6) will not work with version 1.8.
Care must be taken as upgrading a database to the version that works with version 1.8 without obtaining the license code for it will cause problems. This is because there is no way to downgrade the database after the upgrade. As such, again as a warning, please make sure that you really wish to upgrade to version 1.8 before installing the software.
The easiest way to install/upgrade to version of 1.8 is by using the AutoCount Accounting version 1.8 DVD. If however the user wishes to use the digital edition of the installer to install/upgrade the software, please ensure that the .Net framework installed in their computer is .Net Framework 4 Full version. This is because this version of AutoCount Accounting uses said framework for both its core engine as well as its User Interface component.
- The DVD menu will show up if AutoRun is enabled. If it is not enabled, navigate into the DVD folder and double click the setup.exe application to show the DVD menu.
- Click on the AutoCount Accounting Setup menu to start the installation/upgrading process.
- If the Setup detects that there is a previous version 1.8 installed in the system, a menu will prompt out to allow user to select to upgrade the installed software or to run a full setup. By default the selected option would be to update the installation.
- If however the Setup did not find any installation of AutoCount Accounting version 1.8 in the system or if you are upgrading from version 1.5 or 1.6, it will directly go to the full installation menu.
- If you have not installed AutoCount Accounting before, or have selected to run a full setup in the upgrade menu (as shown in 3), you will see the AutoCount Accounting Setup menu in which you can choose the Installation Type you wish to execute.
- In this menu you can choose one of the following Installation Type: Standalone or Network Installation.
- Standalone Installation is an option that is suitable for running the AutoCount Accounting in a single PC. This option will install the Microsoft SQL Server Database Engine, the AutoCount Accounting software as well as the all required components.
- Network Installation is for users that require AutoCount Accounting to run in a Network Environment.
- Server Installation: Use this option to setup the Database portion of AutoCount Accounting in a server. It will install Microsoft SQL Server Database Engine as well as the AutoCount Backup Server.
- Client Program Installation: Use this option to setup the client PC that will connect to the Database. It will install AutoCount Accounting and all the required components.
- After selecting the Installation Type that you wish to use and pressing ‘Next’, you will be required to read and accept the End User License Agreement. The setup will also detect and inform you if the required components (Microsoft .Net Framework 4) are already installed. It is here also that you can choose to install the 64-bit version of AutoCount Accounting software.
- After pressing the ‘Next’ button, the setup will start the installation process.
- Pressing the ‘Next’ button will send the user to the next step which is to select the destination folder as well as for which user is the installation is required. In version 1.8, the installation destination has been moved to \AutoCount\Accounting 1.8\ instead of the previous \AutoCount\Accounting\. This is to allow the version 1.5 or 1.6 to coexist with version 1.8 in the same system. Press ‘Next’ after you have finish setting the destination folder option.
- You will have another window which will show the License Agreement. If you have read and agree to accept the terms written in it, select the option ‘I Agree’ and click ‘Next’. Otherwise click ‘Cancel’ to cancel the installation.
- After agreeing to the License Agreement, the installation will install the necessary components as well as the software itself. When it is completed, press the ‘Close’ button to exit the installation process.
Upgrading Previous Installation
- If the setup detects a previous version 1.8 installation and you have selected to upgrade that installation, you will be prompt that if you wish to install the application, you must uninstall the previous application. Select ‘Yes’ to continue the process.
- After the setup finish uninstalling the previous version, it will start the standard installation step similar to the previous mention in Full Installation portion of the document (steps 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8)
AutoCount Backup Server
As noted before, when a user chooses to select the Network Installation type, they will be able to choose to install either as a Server Installation or Client Program Installation. If the Server Installation is chosen, both the Database application as well as a new service known as AutoCount Backup Server is installed into the Server PC.
The AutoCount Backup Server service acts similar to the previous Scheduled Backup service in which it will allow users to setup the automatic backup process for their databases. After the setup for the service is done user can access the AutoCount Backup Server Setting by using the AutoCount Backup Server Monitor icon in the Windows notification area.
Right clicking the icon will reveal a few options. One of the options is to ‘Open the AutoCount Backup Server Setting’. Clicking on that option opens the window in which the user can setup the setting that he wish to use for the automated backup setting.
- Server Configuration
- Server Port: The server port number in which the service will listen to.
- Backup Permission
- Allow client PCs to backup database: This option is to allow client PC to initiate the backup operation from their PC.
- Restore Permission
- Allow client PCs to restore database: This option is to allow client PC to initiate the restore operation from their PC.
- Compression method
- Use WinRAR to compress: This option is to allow the user to use WinRAR to compress the backup into a smaller file
- WinRAR Directory: The directory path of the WinRAR installation in the server.
- Compression Level: The compression level to be used when compression is done.
- Sql Server
- Time Out: The Time Out to be used when executing the required SQL statement when doing the backup operation.
- Restore Sql Configuration
- Process File List Timeout: The Time Out to be used when executing the required SQL statement when doing the restore operation.
- Buffer Size
- Buffer Size: The memory buffer size to be used in the backup/restore operation.
- Temporary Folder
- Temporary Folder: The folder where files is to be held temporary while backup/restore operation is being done
After finishing the setting setup, the user has to setup the schedule for the backup operation via the AutoCount Scheduled Backup Control Panel. This window can be accessed via the AutoCount Backup Server Monitor icon as shown before.
To create a new Scheduled Backup, just click the ‘Add’ button.
|Task ID||Automatically assigned ID value.|
|Task Name||The name for the task.|
|Server Name||The server name for the backup to be done on. Click the ‘Get Available Servers’ to select the server required. If you know the server name type it in using the following format <pc name>\<instance name>.|
|Database||The database in which the account book resides in. Click the ‘Get Available Database’ to select the database that you would like to schedule the backup.|
|Backup Directory||The path of backup destination.|
|Backup File Prefix||Set the prefix text for the name of backup file.|
|Backup Date/Time||The first date and time for the backup schedule.|
|Repeating||Check to set repeating schedule.|
|Repeat Type||Select either every hour, every day, every weekday or every month.|
|Notify on failed/success||Check so that the user will be notified thru email. This option will only work when the email address is given and the email server setting is set (via File -> Options)|
|The email address for the notification to be sent to.|
|Backup File Password||Set the password for the backup file.|
|Backup Service Port||Set the backup server service port.|
If the administrator did not set a scheduled backup after installing the service, the service will send a gentle reminder to AutoCount Accounting users to remind them to set up the scheduled backup for the database they are working on every hour. This is to ensure that any future problems that might occur to the database could be rectified via a restore from the backup done.
Another function of the AutoCount Backup Server service is to provide a unique SQL server identification key for the usage with the Remote USB Key Server to allow for authentication of the license key.
Remote USB Key Server Improvement
In the previous version of AutoCount Accounting, the Remote USB Key Server is required to be installed together with the SQL Server to allow for it to work. This implementation is rigid in the sense that if the SQL Server is installed in a virtual machine environment, it will cause problems as the application cannot detect and thus use the USB key.
To resolve this issue, the latest version of the Remote USB Key Server now allows for installation away from the SQL Server. However there is a potential misuse in that a single Remote USB Key Server can be used with multiple SQL Servers. To correct this, each SQL Server is required to have the AutoCount Backup Server installed together with it.
The reason for this requirement is because the AutoCount Backup Server will create a unique ID for the SQL server it is paired with. The Remote USB Key Server will store and later compare this unique ID to make sure that it is not being used for multiple SQL servers. If a user tries to connect to a SQL server with a different ID compared to the one stored in the Remote USB Key Server, it will store the new ID for comparison but at the cost of disabling the license of the previous SQL Server causing any users that is connected to the database in the previous SQL server unable to work with it.
Network User Enhancement
In version 1.8 of AutoCount Accounting, the Network User has been enhanced to allow for more license purchasing option to users. For previous versions of AutoCount Accounting, a company is required to pay a license fee for all network users even if some of them might not use certain functions in AutoCount Accounting. With this enhancement, the company could pay a fraction of the license fee by selecting which part of AutoCount Accounting is needed for its staff via the Network User Type.
The Network User type has been expanded from the Full System access (default) in the previous versions to two new ones. The Full System access type allows user to access all the functionality possessed in the purchased AutoCount Accounting modules controlled by the Access Rights assigned to them. The two new types: Stock Only and Account Only, modifies the accessibility of the functionality so that specific functionality are only available to the users that are assigned them.
For the Network User type Account Only, the only functionality available are G/L, A/R, A/P and Inquiry (Only Account Inquiry) as well as the standard functionality (General Maintenance, Tools, Window and Help).
For the Network User type Stock Only, the only functionality available are Inquiry (Without Account Inquiry), Stock, Sales and Purchase as well as the standard functionality (General Maintenance, Tools, Window and Help).
To change the Network User type, access the User Maintenance and edit the user which you wish to apply the Network User type. After saving the modification, restart AutoCount Accounting to view the changes done.
Plug-In Management Enhancement
To help increase the ease in which plug-ins is managed and stored, this version of AutoCount Accounting introduces a new format for installation, storage and management of plug-ins.
The first change would be how a plug-in will be packaged and install. In previous version, a plug-in is required to be packaged into a setup project before being installed into all the computers that is required to run it. Now, with this version, the plug-in dynamic link libraries (.dll) and any other files needed to run the plug-in is packaged into a simple file called .app (shorten from AutoCount Plug-in Package) and will only require a single installation into the database in which it will work with.
As noted above the second change would be the storage of the plug-in itself. With a single installation, the AutoCount Accounting program will save the .dll files as well as any other files needed to run the plug-in into the database it is installed for. Due to the centralization of the installation, all client PCs that connect to this server and that specific database will receive the same plug-in files when they run the AutoCount Accounting program, thus saving time for the users as they do not have to run the plug-in installer on all client PCs that they have.
The third change would be the change in the management of the plug-ins. With this version of AutoCount Accounting, it is possible to stack the initialization of multiple plug-in. As such plug-ins that has dependencies on another plug-in can be move to the end of the stack to allow the other plug-in to initialize first before completing its own initialization. This is done via the Plug-In Manager Move Up and Move Down buttons. Moving a plug-in up will cause that particular plug-in to be initialize first while moving a plug-in down will cause its initialization to be done later down the line.
Enhancement to the Account Book Registration
While the logic behind the Account Book Registration remains relatively the same, major enhancement has been done to the user interface to simplify the process.
Users will now be greeted by the Account Book Registration Wizard instead of the previous window when they access the Account Book Registration function.
From the welcome screen, click the Next button to begin the registration process.
Insert the relevant information into the fields required as stated by the wizard before pressing Next.
Select the Accounting Edition you are going to use (for more information regarding the edition, please contact the supplier of the software) as well as any other additional modules required.
Specify the number of users that is going to use the program as well as the type of license code. For further information on the Concurrent Network Users type, please check the topic Network User Enhancement previously discussed.
After the user has finished entering the relevant information, they may choose one of the methods stated in the wizard to submit the registration request before finishing the process. When they have received the license file, they will have to restart the wizard and enter the license code in this portion of the wizard as well.
Introduction of Accountant License
To read more on the Introduction of Accountant License, please visit the following link:
AutoCount Accountant License Explained.
Malaysian GST Enhancement (1st Phase Implementation)
To read more on the AutoCount Accounting Malaysian GST Enhancement, please visit the following link:
AutoCount Accounting Malaysian GST Enhancement (1st Phase Implementation).
Malaysian GST Implementation
This new major feature is implemented to be compliant to the requirement of the Malaysian Government. Many functions and tools have been included to ensure that users will have an easier time working with GST.
Network User Enhancement
This enhancement allows for more option to users in customizing their license to fit their needs. No longer will they be limited to acquiring a Full Access license when buying for multiple user as there is new options to choose from.
Introduction of Accountant License
This enhancement is introduced to help end-users, that engage accountants from another firm, give access to their account book to the accountant. No longer will they be required to stop work on one of their normal users so that the accountant can use the user’s id to login into AutoCount Accounting. Now with this license and some setup, these accountants can have access to the end-users account book without slowing down the productivity of the end-users.
Plug-in Management Enhancement
This breaking change is introduced to allow for easier deployment of plug-ins into the AutoCount Accounting System. It will require that developers of plug-ins to rebuild and repackage their plug-in into the .app (AutoCount Plug-in Package) extension via the AutoCount Plug-in Package Builder obtainable from Auto Count Sdn. Bhd.
AutoCount Backup Server
This new service helps in the management of auto database backup to ensure that server failures does not cause too much issue to the integrity of the data.
Remote USB Key Server Improvement
The Remote USB Key Server is no longer required to be installed in the same system of the SQL Server it is paired with. This will allow the SQL Server to be installed in a virtual machine environment while the Remote USB Key Server rests on another computer.
Bugs Fixed and Minor Enhancement
Among the bugs fixed and minor enhancement introduced in AutoCount Accounting version 1.8 are:
- FOC Qty: When user set “Sale” quantity to 10 and FOC quantity to 1, it is also applied to Purchase document when it should only apply to Sales document only. (ACC-1471)
- A/R or A/P Monthly Sales & Collection Analysis: Enabling ‘Include Zero Balance’ in more option will cause system to ignore debtor or creditor filter. (ACC-1617)
- Trial balance show incorrect result. (ACC-2028)
- High Risk hitting “Out of Memory”, when Open or Saving Stock Value Maintenance. (ACC-2426)
- Import All Data function: When importing item for the second time, if an item contains a Replacement Item Code, the system will prompt a constraint error. (ACC-2578)
- Post to G/L for Cash Sale that is paid by credit card will generate error. (ACC-2594)
- A/R Invoice Entry Access Right: Can Edit Document No.: This access right does not work. (ACC-2629) Access right ‘Can Edit Document No.’ under the A/R Invoice Entry did not properly work causing users to be able to edit the A/R Invoice Document No. even if they do not have the access right
- Stock Balance By Location: When viewing the report using the ‘Smallest UOM’ option, the total of the cost shown is not correct. (ACC-2665)
- Journal Entry UDF can now be imported from Excel. (ACC-2680)
- Inquiry Cash Sale Detail Listing Error. (ACC-2681) This bug causes an unknown SQL exception error to occur because one of the SQL column was not able to be bound to the statement use to obtain the data
- Item Package: When selecting Item Package in Document Entry, set the ‘Is Active’ option to ‘Yes’ as default and the system must be able to remember the last setting applied. (ACC-2682)
- For Invoices transferred from Delivery Order that has Group Discount, after running repost, Recalculate Net Total and Recalculate Sub-Total will cause the Reposted Invoice Discount value to become zero. (ACC-2683)
- Similar UDF Name in Master Detail will cause error when using the Find function in A/R Credit Note. (ACC-2684) Similar UDF Name in Master and Detail causes SQL issue due to ambiguous column name.
- Import from Excel for Debtor/Creditor unable to update CompanyName. (ACC-2685)
- Monthly Sales Analysis when showing Multi-UOM does not have a UOM field for user to know which UOM it is. (ACC-2686)
- When using F9 (Find Item) in Invoice, the stock item UOM used will be the Base UOM instead of the Sales UOM set in the Stock Item Maintenance. (ACC-2687)
- Error Log Viewer Bug: (ID: 29221) (ACC-2688) The issue is due to NullReferenceException thrown when a user tried to change their password strength to Strong.
- Stock Assembly Order and Stock Assembly: When creating new, unable to use Range Set. (ACC-2689)
- Stock Receive cannot see Created User, Created Time, Modified User and Modified Time. (ACC-2691)
- Group By Show Wrong Information in Report Criteria. (ACC-2692)
- PO transfer from SO did not update the detail item package. (ACC-2700)
- Error when preview creditor balance report. (ACC-2703)
- Foreign Currency Revaluation: When creating new will, prompt error. (ACC-2704)
- Bank Reconciliation Report preview withholding tax amount 100 ( 2.5 * 40) in as per bank statement report. (ACC-2713)
- Unable to save Year To Date Payment. (ACC-2716)
- LookupEditBuilder use in most User Interface function contains some performance bug which has been corrected in this version (1.8).
- IRAS: Show the Revenue amount in SGD.
- Checking based on GST for Reason, Our Invoice No and Supplier Invoice No fields.
- Import ARAP Invoice, Credit Note and Debit Note: add Local Net Total to import option.
- Manage Fiscal Year: ‘Manage Exceptions’ is now visible in Express edition.
- Bug fix for Express edition in License Info and Account Book Registration.
- Import Item Batch detail for Item Opening.
- View POS Posting Source Document. POS users can now view the source document posted into the system from AutoCount Accounting.
- Drill down for POS document is supported. POS users can now drill down to the POS document from AutoCount Accounting.